Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Educating the Non-Preppy


I love Providence. I love the fact that people there are trendy. It has something to do with Brown University. Although I feel that I am yet to experience the sight of a preppy, I feel that Providence is more of my style.


I am in awe of how clean (in terms of fashion) a PREPPY is. They are not the American Eagle, Abercrombie + Fitch wearing teenagers as what others perceive them to be. I think those are called "hippie" but hey! I am not a fashion professional. I stand to be corrected by a REAL PREPPY only.


Here is the definition of a Preppy that an author named Lilly stated on Urban Dictionary:
Preppy as in boarding schools and summers on Nantucket. Preppy as in WASP and old money. As in LL Bean fur moccasins and ribbons in your hair, and flip-flops when it's 10 degrees outside. As in sailing and Topsiders and looking back on your house from your boat and being so, so happy. Preppy as in buying clothes not for the label but for what they look like. Preppy as in collars up and Nantucket Red shorts faded to pink. As in crew, tennis, squash, lacrosse. As in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine. As in Ivy League and prep schools with the word "academy" in their names. 
(May I just quote that the only thing similar with me and a preppy is that right now I live in Massachusetts.)
Preppy (girls) essentials include:
ribbon belts,minimal makeup (or better, none), minimal hair styling, pearls, oxfords, polos, chinos, birkinstock clogs, sauconys, headbands, cableknit sweaters, brightly colored pants, cropped pants, jack rogers sandals, lilly pulitzer sundresses, longchamp/herve chapelier/vineyard vines/ll bean totes, patagonia fleeces, reef sandals, JCrew bathing suits, rainbow sandals,moccasins/topsiders, and many more.

preppy (boys) essentials include:
brightly colored baseball hats, rainbow sandals, Ralph Lauren polo shirts (in ALL colors- the brighter the better), nautical rope bracelets, nantucket red khakis, messy/unkempt hair (or minimal styling), other brightly colored khakis/shorts, crewneck sweaters, flannel/plaid oxfords, rope belts, striped ties, vineyard vines ties, LL bean boots, patagonia fleeces, navy blazers + khakis, topsiders, and much more.


So now I think that even if I am deeply awed by a preppy, I will never be one. I sort of realized that when there is NOTHING, absolutely no clothing of any sorts mentioned above. Even my hubster doesn't have one. However, I feel that one day Beamer and I will vacation in Cape Cod and don a preppy attire.


"Preppy is a lifestyle. Not a Fashion style." So there, I'm not a preppy. Never will and ever be. But no one can stop me from wearing a costume. Right?


One day. One Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment