Monday, October 24, 2011

The Tale of the Ungrateful Daughter


I woke up today and my "Domesticated Diva" (according to Glaiza) alter ego prepared Beamer's lunch and snacks, clothes to wear and a pair of gym clothes. 

My mornings are composed of staying in the room (after the hubster left) and blog while watching news. Matt Lauer is my constant morning companion. 

Alexis Stewart, Martha Stewart's daughter (yes, the great Martha Stewart) apparently wrote a book. The book was about her life growing up with a Martha Stewart. 

"If I didn't do something perfectly, I had to do it again," writes Stewart, 46. "I grew up with a glue gun pointed at my head."

In my opinion, she is an ungrateful daughter. Okay, so when you dont do it perfectly you do it again. What's the big deal? Did you die? A glue gun pointed in the head meant she was teaching her to be like her. A homemaking goddess.

"Martha was not interested in being kid-friendly," her daughter writes. 

She stated there was no food in the refrigerator. There were ingredients but not prepared. There was no trick or treating during Halloween. And she wraps her own gift for Christmas. People from the third world countries do not have gifts at all during Christmas! They do not have food at all! They do not go trick or treating because NOBODY will give them anything.

There was a time in my childhood that I felt that my Mother doesnt have money at all. That particular time we feasted on canned sardines (which I still love until now!). I have never experienced trick or treating (It's my first time this year!) and I cooked my own food when I was 9. I make a mean noodle with sardines. Too bad the Hubster doesnt like seafood.

What is the BIG deal Alexis Stewart? Do you really have to diss your mom like that? I mean on national TV? International media? Was she really a bad mother for you to write a book about her?

I am not in defense of Martha. I am not a mother. 

"Halloween was also a grim affair: There were no costumes," she writes. "There was no anything. We turned off all the lights and pretended we weren't home."

I remembered "Christmas Carolers" in the Philippines. Every second they come back once you give them something. Everyday for 30 days. Of course there will be time that you want to close your lights. What is the big deal?

"A woman lived near us when I was little, had married someone very wealthy and very unattractive, and my mother actually told me when I was a small child, 'Now Alexis, if this ever happens, you make sure you have sex with somebody else to have their baby. Don't have his baby,'" she writes.

Pardon me for laughing my esophagus out! She was probably saying that because the man was unattractive and she would not want to have an unattractive grandchild. I remembered my Mom when I told her that I passed the audition for majorette during freshman.

My Mom (Nanay): Huwaaat??
Me: Yes! Auntie Nancy told me.
Nanay: Who was conducting the audition?
Me: Auntie Nancy!
Nanay: Exactly! It's your Auntie Nancy! Out of shame she will take you.
Me: But I wanted to be one. My friends are.
Nanay: Look, I love you. You are my daughter. For me you are the most beautiful girl in the world. But not everyone will agree. I do not want to be fighting with some other kibitzers when I hear them saying, "Who is that skinny ugly girl? Why did they even got her?"

"Mother always peed with the door open," she writes. "I remember saying, 'You know, now I have friends over! You can't do that anymore! It's gotta stop! My friends' parents don't do it! Give me a break here! I don't feel like being embarrassed! It's exhausting! I'm a kid! Stop!"'

Alexis, Alexis, Alexis... If you say this this things to my Mom you are going to pick up your teeth on the floor! In other countries (like mine!) you are not even allowed to voice your opinion as a child. And I pee with the door open, not ajar, OPEN. It's my house! Im sure its her house too. She can do what she want. Hell, I even pee on the bushes if the nature calls. I think its way better than pee-ing in your pants. Right Puppet?

The book, is, afterall, dedicated to Martha Stewart, with this foreword: "Thanks in advance to my mother for not getting angry about anything written in this book."


Okay. So she didn't mind. What was the point? Martha is an Institution. All Mother's are. In this case, I have to say this too:

Thank you Nanay for making me the person that I am today. For opening my eyes and not fooling me of being beautiful like some parents do to their kids. Thank you for that gift. The gift of candor. For whatever flaws you have I embrace it. And I know you embrace mine. And I have plenty.

I love you Nanay.

No comments:

Post a Comment